How to Create a Library
An online library combines the power of traditional as well as modern libraries. While instructors only used to assign courses traditionally, the online library gives learners the freedom to assign courses or tests to themselves.
Once given access to the library, learners are free to use all the content available there. They can add or remove courses or tests from their classroom dashboard anytime, anywhere.
Benefits of having the library:
- Enable self-learning: Your learners can pick up hundreds of training materials at their convenience. They can easily search for their preferred courses and complete them at the desired pace.
- Instant source of information: Employees can explore a wide variety of content anytime, anywhere, including information specific to their job profile, to help them become more creative at work and improve their performance.
- Enable better training: Modify content so that it’s relevant to your learners. You can add virtually as many training courses, videos, presentations, PDF files, etc., as you want since there are no physical limitations of space.
- Share company values: Add content related to a company's legacy to help employees learn more about its values and work culture.
- Cost benefits: An online library brings obvious cost benefits compared to a physical library, especially in the long run.
Here’s an example of how the library appears to a learner:
In this article, you’ll learn:
- How to add content to the library
- How to create folders in the library
- How to use the library as a learner
Step 1. Go to More >> Library from your ProProfs Training Maker dashboard.
Step 3. In the following popup, you get options to add courses, weblinks, images, videos and upload files of different types, such as PPT, PDF, MP4, MPEG, etc. Under the ‘My Courses’ tab, select the required courses and click Add.
To add a link from the web, for example, a video or a blog URL, switch to the ‘Link’ tab >> mention the URL >> click on the right arrow button to preview it. Do not forget to click Add at the bottom to save it.
To add an image from the web or a YouTube video, go to the ‘Web Search’ tab >> search image/video >> click Add.
To add files from your computer, switch to the ‘Upload’ tab >> upload a file >> click Add.
Here’s a screenshot of the library after you’ve added some content to it.
Folders help you organize content based on its type and purpose. For example, say you want to add content related to your website design - so you can put them under a folder called ‘Design Thinking,’ allowing your learners to browse useful content in the library easily.
To create a folder:
Step 1. Click the ‘New Section’ button.
Step 2. Give a name to the folder and click Create.
Here’s an example of a newly created folder with currently no content in it. Click ‘+Add Content’ to add relevant content to it, just like in the steps above. To return to the main library, just click ‘Library’ from the top navigation.
Here’s how the library appears with folders and other content added to it.
Your learners can access the library right from their dashboard. They can assign courses to themselves by moving the cursor over a course and clicking ‘Assign to me.’
A self-assigned course is labeled as ‘Self Assigned’ and can be taken by just clicking on the ‘Start’ button that appears on the mouse hover. Clicking ‘Remove’ will remove a course from the user’s dashboard.